On today’s show, our guest is Robert M. Thorson, author of Walden’s Shore: Henry David Thoreau and Nineteenth-Century Science (Harvard University Press, paperback August 2015). Thorson is a geologist who decided to read Thoreau’s classic literary work for its observations about nature. He argues that Thoreau was as skilled a naturalist as he was a writer. Later in the hour, contributing editor Erin Blakemore talks about what’s happened to the remains of the Romanovs.
Music this hour:
- “Forgiven Not Forgotten” by Jahzzar, from the album Kuddelmuddel
- “Soldiertype (militarised)” by Ketsa, from the album What’s Without’s Within
- “Travel Light” by Jason Shaw, from the album Audionatix: Acoustic
- “Prelude No. 14” by Chris Zabriskie, from the album Preludes
- “Out of the Skies, Under the Earth” by Chris Zabriskie, from the album Reappear